We Will Travel to You | Available 24/7 - Phone & Video Consultations | Office in Weymouth, MA
Start Your Free Consultation Now

DUI Expungement

Expungement often sounds like a dream for those with convictions on their record. The chance to have your slate wiped completely clean? It is almost like starting over without the stigma that can come from criminal offenses, particularly DUI convictions.

For Massachusetts residents, however, expungement may be just that – a dream. It can be extremely difficult to have your records expunged and in some cases, almost impossible. Don't give up hope! Your opportunity to start fresh isn't eliminated altogether and with the right legal finagling, you could be on track to life with a clean record.

Your Alternative to Expungement

DUI charges can be particularly damaging to your future. Jobs, relationships, and living opportunities are all impacted by such an offense. While expungement seems promising, there are really only two cases where it is possible.

If someone was convicted of a DUI using your name, the court may change your name to Jane or John Doe on the criminal complaint and expunge your records to protect you. In the event that you were arrested as a juvenile and there was insufficient evidence to convict you, the court may choose to expunge your record as well .

Almost all other instances of a DUI conviction do not warrant expungement. Fortunately, you may be provided you with the opportunity of having your records sealed. Sealed records are no longer available to the public and although they still exist, they do not have the potential to tarnish your reputation like they would otherwise.

If you fall into one of the following categories, your records may be sealed:

  • The charges were dismissed
  • The defendant was not guilty
  • 5-10 years have passed since the crime occurred
  • The offense is no longer considered a crime
  • The defendant was pardoned

Some records do not qualify for sealing, so it is important to work with a Quincy DUI lawyer you can trust to assist you with your case. Contact our firm today to schedule your free consultation!