How to Request Child Support

In Massachusetts, all children are entitled to receive child support until he or she reaches the age of 18, and up to the age of 20 if he or she is still attending high school. The laws state that child support must be used to fund the cost of raising the child.

Parents or guardians can apply for child support services, including:

  • Creating a child support order for children under 18
  • Asking the courts to enforce a current child support order
  • Obtaining paternity test results for children under 18
  • Modifying existing child support orders for children under 18
  • Impose past-due payments of child support for

The process begins when the parent or child's guardian must use the Application for Full Child Support Services and send it to the Department of Revenue. At that point, they will carry out the task of locating the parents, establishing paternity, create the child support orders, and collect payments. If a parent is seeking child support from a divorce case, he or she may request assistance from the judge.

How Is Child Support Calculated?

The state adheres to a rather complex mathematical formula to calculate support. The reviewer will look at factors such as the each respective parent's income, the parents' location, living situation, the children's cost (daycare, school, extracurricular activities, sports, etc.), medical care, social security, and any additional benefits.

If you are the custodial parent, you can opt to have child support payments sent directly to your bank account, in direct deposit form. The other option will be the Massachusetts Debit-Card Child Support Card. The ease and convenience of a debit card offers numerous advantages, including the ability to access the money from an ATM.

Providing Goal-Oriented Legal Support

Our Quincy family law attorneys are renowned for individualized support and results-driven approach to helping our clients satisfy their needs. Whether you are looking for counsel regarding your divorce or need assistance walking through the child support application process, we are prepared to guide you. You have a right to protect your legal rights as a parent, so be sure to contact us right away to see how we can help.

Call us at (617) 651-3220 -- we offer free consultations!

Categories: Child Support